Founded in 1887 by the King Rama V, who ordered the move of ancient artifacts and antiques stored in The Grand Palace to the former palace of late prince viceroys. More buildings were later constructed when there were more precious items to exhibit, such as the main building which was built in 1967 and the Buddhaisawan Chapel which was built in 1787 to enshrine Phra Buddha Si Hing, a sacred Buddha image.
The National Museum houses a vast collection of artifacts and antiques founded throughout Thailand, divided into periods of time: from pre-historic eras to old kingdoms (Srivijaya, Dvaravati, Khmer Kingdoms, Sukhothai, Ayutthaya) and the current Rattanakosin era. These include Neolithic tools, painted pots, bronze objects, Buddhist sculptures in stone, bronze and terracotta as well as illustrated scripture books manuscript cabinets and votive plaques.
Guided tours are given free by volunteers in English and French starting at 9.30 a.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Tours are also given in German on Thursdays and in Japanese on Wednesdays of the first & the third week of each month. Guided tours in some other languages can be arranged.
From BTS Saphan Taksin station, take a Chao Phraya River Express boat to Ta Phrachan Pier where you can walk. The museum is next to Thammasat University.
By Bus: No. 3, 6, 9, 15, 19, 30, 32, 33, 43, 53, 59, 64, 65, 70, 80, 84; Air-conditioned bus No. 3, 6, 7, 38, 39, 80, 82, 91 Airport Bus No. A2.
Grand Palace (Wat Phra Kaew), Phra Athit Road, Khaosan Road