One of the five grand palaces, Gyeonghuigung Palace was also called "Seogweol" (which means "palace of the west") because it's located west of the main palace, Gyeongbokgung. In its heyday, it was part of a vast complex, with 100 buildings in total, but most of these were destroyed during the Japanese occupation. Following intensive restoration work, it reopened to the public in 2002. On its grounds stand the Seoul Museum of History and the Gyeonghuigung Annex Building of the Seoul Museum of Art.
The palace was originally constructed by order of King Gwanghae, the fifteenth king of the Joseon Dynasty, and was completed in 1623. From the beginning, it was much-loved and served as a secondary palace for some ten kings of the Joseon Dynasty.
A variety of Korean art can be seen in the Gyeonghuigung Annex building of the Seoul Museum of Art, which is situated on the Gyeonghuigung site. Also, the Seoul Museum of History, one of the foremost tourist attractions in the city, houses a permanent collection allowing visitors to see how Seoul has developed and transformed from prehistoric times to the present day.